Thursday, October 30, 2008

Firefighter Recruit Training + Sustained DOMS = a lot of changes in my "other" life!

In the fitness training world, DOMS is an acronym for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Usually, this happens when the trainee makes a significant change in their program, or starts something brand new and their body isn't really ready for that adaptation. So it rebels by making the area hurt for days after. It takes quite a bit for anything to make me sore for days after, and usually I welcome that new challenge because, well, that's the kind of strange breed I am. Hmpf... well now, let me tell you something funny!

I have been DOMS-ing for a week and a half straight. And not just a little, "ooohhh, my hammies are sore from all those deadlifts... :-)!" I have been in full-on-everything-hurts-and-I'm-completely-mentally-and-physically-exhausted mode for a full wek and a half. Even when the larger muscles start to get back to normal, my hands, and grip strength, are still cramped in a claw-like position. Yesterday I loaded up with not only the biggest bottle of Ibuprofen I could find, but a crapload of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM 1300mg caps as well as Glucosamine & Chondroitin topical cream... and herbal tea.

I have a new class of Police Training Program vicitms starting this coming Sunday, and believe me, they are going to get NO sympathy from me anymore! As sadistic as it may sound, I greatly admire the standards the Fire Training Chief has set for us new recruits, because he demands we meet and exceed the bar set for Abbotsford Fire Rescue. If we don't like it, we can go home. For that, I am proud to have even made it this far. Keeping in mind that for each of us 11 recruits in my class, there are a couple hundred that would gladly step in to take our spots, so NONE of us are going to allow ourselves to be beaten down.

Beaten UP is another story, and for that I have this blog. As I recount my experiences, there comes a realization that something's gotta give, and that means sacrifices in my personal life, the "other" life before I became a Career Recruit Firefighter. I have had to give up (at least in the meantime) any questionably injurious sports (ie. judo or volleyball, and I even parked the motorcycle), fun stuff like salsa dancing or, hmmm, going home to my condo in Vancouver during the week ;-), my volunteerism at Odd Squad and BCR Army Cadets... I am even slipping on, but trying desperately to hang on to, my hula dance and practice, because that keeps me sane and spiritual. But on the business of training side, I have ceased all personal training, and most recently, postponed my regular Saturday kettlebell classes. This hurts a lot because I feel I am letting down my loyal clients, even though most understand what I am going through and recognize the sheer IMPORTANCE of me focusing on my training.

With the kettlebell class, I thought I would be able to continue because it's something I do anyways, so why not keep it going? Well, weekends are for rest and recovery, and even if I didn't participate and only instructed, SOMEONE'S gotta haul out the bells, throw them into the truck, drag 'em out the the field, and reverse the process once it's done. That in itself is tiring enough! I tried to book space at the Y where I can store the bells on site, but I can't get in until January.next year. So until then, I have no choice but to postpone my classes. I hope everyone understands.

Tomorrow, we are told, will be Hell on Earth. We are doing ground ladders ALL DAY, and our training officers promise the Chief will drill us until we drop. Of that I have no doubt, because he is a scary man, well actually, he is a human with a role to play and that is to turn us into top-notch firefighters. Which means inflicting a lot of pain during recruit training. So I'm going to shut 'er down, get some rest, and look forward to a new day!

TD

No comments: