Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Playing the Game

Oh, those folks who design fire academy curriculums really know how to mess with you. Like Military Basic Training (what REAL Bootcamps are made of, not these glam-circuses with 3lb dumbbells and yoga mats, don't even get me started...), what's happened to me in the last 2 1/2 weeks has been textbook – break us down, so they can build us back up. Stronger, better, and smarter. Well, I don't know so much about that last one, but at least more knowledgable so we can figure out to squirt the cold stuff onto the hot stuff... :-).

But break us down they did, relentlessly, as I recounted in the past few entries. I should know better, because I do the same things to my clients, only on a much smaller scale. But not to THAT degree! Well, this week has been one of physical, mental, and spiritual recovery. This balance is something CRUCIAL I teach in my classes, and to actually go through it COMPLETELY is a gratifying experience. Now, my training is FAR from over, and it's going to get just as intense, and we WILL be yelled at, but it's part and parcel of becoming the best we can be... as a team. We train together, we learn together, we make mistakes together... so that we can do our jobs together, efficiently, effectively, safely, so that we can all go home – together.

Now just because we didn't get our asses handed to us on a platter didn't make it any less worthy. Reviewing theory is crucial for all, especially someone like me who comes from a non fire-related background. My class has some incredibly talented guys, with years of auxilliary firefighting experience or relevant trades that may make the theory side seem repetitive, but I for one sure appreciate it.

The one thing I did have experience in is experiencing critical incident stress. This is a "touchy feely" subject because many will deny the impact a horrific or tragic call or event can have, but the effects can be long lasting and debilitating if not dealt with in a timely manner. As a police officer, I saw many things the average person should never ever have to see, and I was only with the department for four years. But the major incidents were dealt with professionally and the department took care of its officers through defusings and debriefings.

At this point I'm going to have to take a break and divide this post into two parts. What I want to communicate requires more thought and will most likely be emotional for me, but I have to hit the books and ready for a big test on Monday... so I will continue this later when I can focus more clearly. In the meantime, if you have any comments on critical incident stress, I'd love to hear from you!

Best,

TD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any comments on critical incident stress but I can't wait to read your next post. It's also good to hear about your recovery!! Good luck on your test Monday!

D Phillips said...

When I started with the fire dept here in White Rock, we never went through ANYTHING as tough as what you guys are. My hats (helmet's)off to you. Being there for almost 20 yrs now, has opened my eyes to many things. I've seen some pretty heart breaking things. Some that still stick with me to this day in great detail. Yes they've been talked about and it's all good. But you still remember. This I think is healthy. It keeps everything in perspective. Look forward to your next post as well.

CHEERS TD!

Darren P.