Sunday, November 23, 2008

Past the Hump!

Tomorrow my class starts Week 6. Where the heck did the time go? If all goes well, we will be ready to hit the trucks in our assigned halls in 4 weeks. Holy crap!

When I think back about where we started, what we've been through, and where we are going, it boggles the mind. Well maybe just me, but I wake up everyday still thankful for this opportunity to share a piece of the best job in the world.

Last week was First Responder training, and this week we continue with testing and practical scenarios. We also have a five-chapter module test, so while not a physically exhausting two weeks, we still have to work hard on skills and theory. We also have to be self-motivated to practice out Job Performance Requirements (JPRs) on which we will be evaluated the week after next. So that means a lot of staying behind after our scheduled class, and going through timed drills, over and over. But really, apart from being on a beach in Maui at the moment, is there anything else I'd rather be doing? And the answer is still "no".

I forgot to mention that last week (I think it was last week!) we got our custom-fitted turnout gear! Brand-spanking new black bunker gear, emblazoned with ABBOTSFORD in a semicircle across the back of the shoulders, our last names on the bottom, and a whole lotta yellow reflective tape. Yes, I will admit, I felt pretty cool putting on the stuff fresh out of the bags! And it fit! And they spelled my name right! Whoo hoo! What a difference, ahhhhh! The hand-me-downs I was borrowing in the interim were still too big – turnout coat skimming my knees, pants that no matter how tight the suspenders, still had me waddling around with my crotch mid-thigh. Yes, I can hear you laughing, but it made simple things, like going up stairs and squatting, difficult. I dar you to try it! Go put on your ski or snowboard pants, yank 'em down to your thighs, and walk around! Fun, huh? All that was left to complete the ensemble was proper turnout boots, as the ones I were using were (big surprise) too big. Actually, they were so big I've sustained some minor tissue damage on the top of my left foot from the constant banging and sliding around. I actually feared I had a stress fracture, but got it checked out and all's well. However, the FR weeks have let me recover, and well whaddaya know! My smaller-sized boots came in! They feel pretty good, even if the guys make fun of how tiny they are ;-). Thank goodness I'm not a guy right now!

You may have noticed an absence of photos on this blog, and that's because I'm respecting the AFR's wishes not to post anything with the uniform at the moment. Maybe later, but I'm not going to rock the boat yet, although the DC did want us to start documenting our time here to look back upon when we graduate (next year!). We'll see.

Well, it's past my bedtime as I am up at 5am. Good night!

t

No comments: