Friday, October 24, 2008

A Newfound Respect for Humpin' Hose

And that title is not meant to have any dirty connotations!

I said I wasn't going to go into detail into our training specifics, but firefighter recruit training has opened up a whole new perspective on functional fitness for me. For the last three days, we've rolled and unrolled hose, learned how to load, carry, and connect hose, and how to squirt water from different sizes of hose. We've learned a lot more than that, actually, but it's the cardio and strength aspect of it all that I can really speak to from my three days of experience.

I did a damn good job at training myself for the CPAT fitness test; a 10:20 timed obstacle course specifically designed to see if the fire recruit candidate has the bare minimum level of fitness required to do the job-specific duties of firefighters. It wasn't easy, but I did it, and gave myself the humble pat on the back since the fitness requirements are the same for me as they are anyone else. Well, let me tell you, the Abbotsford Fire Recruit Training MOCKS that standard and I have confidence in saying this even on DAY 3 of the program... because it only gets harder from here on in. Put it this way – I've gone through Police Academy, the RKC Kettlebell Instructor program, and a TON of challenging physical activities, but firefighter training kills them all. I'm so VERY thankful for the knowledge I have about fitness, biomechanics, form, breathing, and especially TRAINING with kettlebells, because without that, I'd be in trouble! I'm not tough, I'm realistic, and while I know I am strong for my size, the duties of a firefighter don't give a crap whether I'm 5'4" and 130lbs or 6'5" and 260lbs. The job needs to get done. End of story.

I worked my ass off, yet I feel it wasn't enough. I felt like I should have been faster, more coordinated, and just STRONGER in general! Mental fortitude only goes so far before you just have to grunt and give it everything you've got. And sometimes you come up short. We did evolution after evolution after evolution and I soaked through my turnout gear (from water), street clothes (from sweat), and chafed my legs and heels (from big-ass boots). I have no idea how many THOUSANDS of calories we burned, but my uniform pants are already loose!

I realize I am starting to babble so I'll call it a night, get some rest, and think about my game plan for next week. I will definitely NOT be working out this weekend... but my experiences will be translated into the language of fitness to one day share with you all.

Fit for Duty has taken on a whole new direction!

T


No comments: