Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Being "in shape" is not the same as being "fit"!

Tonight is more of a rant, really. I've had a few days to reflect on the workshop I gave for fitness leaders at the BCRPA Fitness, Strength & Conditioning Conference this past weekend. It was a great turnout, and I was pleasantly surprised when all these trainers showed up to learn how to use kettlebells in their programs! Because I wasn't within my "normal" client group (normal meaning somewhat crazy but fun to be around...) I laid off the tough love, kick-ass persona and treated them, well, kinda nice. Apparently, "nice" in my vocabulary means something quite different in other people's!

It was a 90-minute workshop designed to introduce them to the concept of kettlebell training. I covered some basic movements, and demonstrated different programming options using 2 moves - the kettlebell swing, and bodyweight pushup. Pretty simple, no? But, as they say, simple doesn't mean easy. The first thing I showed them was ONE partial set of a decreasing ladder superset workout. I even knocked off the first rung, and modified the "workout" to 20-15-10-5 each of swings supersetted with pushups.

Half the attendees dropped out before completing this! Many couldn't even perform a proper pushup! I was, and still am, shocked. I told them they were the fitness trainers. I told them THEY were the ones people look to for improved health and wellness! I told them – they had to walk the talk. They had to set the example, and to motivate and inspire their clients. And I told them to stop looking at me like that... :-) Is that too much to ask? They may be in great "shape", but there is a humbling moment when one realizes that being (or having) great shape does not necessarily mean one is "fit".

So, perhaps I won't ever be the Fitness Trainer of Trainers of the year. Hell, maybe I won't be invited back to present!! But I am proud that I protected the integrity of the humble kettlebell as an exercise tool. So although it may take a little longer for the KB craze to kick in fully here in Vancouver, I now know that the instructors that do end up using them seriously will give the bell the respect it deserves.

Until then, my classes are open!

TD

1 comment:

Laurel Blackburn said...

Great post!

I would rather be with a trainer who is fit, rather than in shape any day.

It's sad that people hire trainers based how how they look rather than their skills and fitness level.

Don't get me started!

Laurel