Friday, October 3, 2008

Kettlebells for Fitness Leaders



This weekend (Sunday afternoon) I'm presenting a 90-minute workshop on Kettlebells for Fitness Leaders at the BCRPA Fitness, Strength and Conditioning Conference. The theme is Moving Forward, Gaining Strength, and I think it's a perfect way to introduce kettlebells to the masses – responsibly.

I love kettlebells. They literally have changed my life and opened up so many more opportunities that just wouldn't have presented themselves if I hadn't started training with them. But I respect them as a training tool, nothing more, and nothing less. Nothing more, because kettlebells aren't the be-all-end-all of fitness toys. They are very effective at what they are designed to do – but they are one modality of many in my arsenal of exercises I use to train myself and my clients. Nothing less, because they deserve the respect they command. And this is what today's blog is going to focus on.



Too many people jump on the "teacher/trainer/instructor" bandwagon. Not just in strength & conditioning; I, an avid salsa dancer, am sickened by the number of "salsa teachers" that have suddenly become "world experts" in teaching this dance to unsuspecting newbies. What are your qualifications? Oh, you mean someone liked the way you danced and asked you to teach them how to spin? THAT makes you a teacher? AND you have a website and YouTube video? Oh, ok. Just checkin'. You get the drift. Now, of course, salsa teachers aren't qualified with the certification requirements fitness leaders possess (provincially through BCRPA, nationally through CanFit-Pro, or other internationally recognized certifying organizations), but the fact they are passing on flawed knowledge to others is what annoys me. How does this apply to kettlebells?



Kettlebells are a fairly new-to-North America phenomenon, but are quite an ancient tool in Europe. I first learned about them from a friend, who encouraged me to get my certification with an outfit called Dragon Door, which offered the Russian Kettlebell Challenge (RKC) Instructor Certification. I followed his advice, and since then have trained with and learned from some of the world's top experts – REAL EXPERTS – in the field: Pavel Tsatsouline, Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell, Mike Mahler, Nate Morrison, Brett Jones, Anthony Dilugio, to name a few. These people helped me along in my journey to becoming a respected and solid kettlebell instructor. There are now more than a few different certifications out there, but folks, lets get realistic - a weekend workshop does NOT make you an expert!

I remember one of my judo instructors telling me that achieving the rank of black belt means you have a good grasp of the basics. At that point, your real training can begin. And I just loved that reality. We are ALWAYS learning. We can never know it all. Because once you think you've reached the top of your game, well, there's only one way to go! And so it is with kettlebells, in my little corner of the world.

This weekend I am going to TEACH these fitness instructors that just because they attended my 90-minute workshop on how to incorporate kettlebells into their programming, they are far from being qualified instructors. Yes, I know, "but nobody has a certification in dumbells!?...." – Don't get me started. Just because you ordered a DVD online and watched some crazy KB stunts and stupid human tricks on YouTube does NOT make you a kettlebell instructor! And you will be doing a disservice to your clients. Walk the Talk. Be a good example, demonstrate proper form, and earn your respect. The old-fashioned way. 'Nuff said.



Trish

No comments: