Monday, October 20, 2008

My new life begins today!

Not that there was anything wrong with the "old" life, and I certainly have no regrets. But today was Day 1 of 9 weeks of Career Fire Recruit Training with Abbotsford Fire Rescue, and there will be many trials and tribulations over the next 2 + months. It takes a lot to unnerve me, but as much as I know I rightly earned a spot amongst my 10 other classmates, as much as I have mentally prepared for this undertaking, and as much as I have physically trained for this demanding career, I - to be blunt - was scared shitless.

It doesn't matter how tough I SEEM, it doesn't matter how GOOD everyone says I'll be, and it doesn't matter that I beat out hundreds of other applicants for this opportunity to PROVE myself worthy of joining the exclusive brotherhood of firefighters... the awesomeness of what lies ahead is both intimidating and inspiring, and I bow my head in humility when I think of the enormity of what this fulfilling career really means to me. I am thankful and appreciative that I have 10 incredible classmates with whom I will share this journey, and with whom I will form a lifelong bond. I'm also grateful for the department and personnel that believed enough in us to make a significant investment in time and money, entrusting us to carry on their traditions with honour, pride, and respect.

I'm focussing my blog posts on how this training affects me at a deeper level, instead of a play-by-play on what the tasks of the day were. Well, maybe I'll pepper that in occasionally. And I'm sure you'll all understand if Duckie lays low for the first while, because, well, it's not his time to shine just yet.

Day 1 was a scary, joyous, info-overloaded, proud, fast, incredulous, and mind-boggling adventure. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!

Trish

No comments: