Thursday, October 23, 2008

Digging Deep

So it's been four days since my last blog. I was going to create a masterpiece entry yesterday, but I, uh, fell asleep. But rest assured, there's a whole lot to share, and a lot more to learn, as I push myself to physical and mental limits I thought not possible. This is from someone with an already strong Type-A perfectionist personality, who survived Police Academy, RKC training, and whose self-imposed workouts continue to clear a path in the gym when the kettlebells hit the mats. But let me tell you, Day 2 of Abbotsford Career Fire Recruit Training was one that stands out as probably the most physically and mentally draining experiences of my LIFE so far.

We rolled and unrolled hose. Lots of hose. Over and over again. 1 3/4 inch & 2 1/2 inch hose. In turnout gear, minus the snoopy hoods and SCBA. For four hours. Word cannot describe the complete and utter exhaustion we felt as a team of 11, but I assure you, the feeling is unforgettable. Our Training Chief is a disciplined man, who has a reason for strict expectations of us as a rookie group, and he is very good at his job... which, if we can live up to his demands, will be to ready us to work with the regular crew on the fire trucks as soon as we finish recruit training on Dec 19. To ready us for a job that DEMANDS readiness in physical fitness, strength, coordination, skills, and most importantly, the BALLS to dig deep when the shit hits the fan and you need to pull up your big girl panties and DEAL with whatever needs to be done, no questions asked.

In a twisted way, I appreciate this, not because I am masochistic (well, maybe a little) but because I've played that game before. Police Academy, to learn knowledge and skills where your life (or the life of your partner, or a civilian in your community) could be at stake on the next routine call, or training my own police pre-recruits, who need to understand the very concept of training for a lifestyle, not a job. Much is the same for this training. I knew it would be hard, and I knew these days were inevitable, but I also know it's done for a reason, and it's a reason that will one day keep me and my teammates alive when things go sideways at a call - because of the thoroughness of our training (longer than any other Fire Depatment around here, if I'm not mistaken) we will be able to perform under duress and do things RIGHT. I'm very proud to be with Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service because they are investing a significant amount of time, resources, and money on me and my 10 teammates; they chose US over the other applicants and they believed when they hired us we have what it takes to do this job and represent their organization in the community. Now we have the task of proving them right.

I also have to thank my hula kumu Paul for his same standards of perfection he SCREAMS into us every class. Ok, the risks and rewards for firefighting and hula dancing are VERY different, but I seem to attract this need for utmost refinement of skills in whatever activity I undertake. Perhaps it's the feeling of gratification, and gratitude, when you know you've worked hard towards an objective and you nail it... it could be for a trophy, or a simple "atta girl" and a pat on the back... or perhaps I am one to chase a challenge and will never slow down, because life is full of challenges and I've never shied away from a single one. I don't know, but I know that today was day four and there are going to be a LOT MORE days like today and yesterday in the next two months.

So I'll just hydrate lots, suck it up, and put on my big girl panties... and deal with it!! Because when it comes down to it, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. Bring it on!!

Trish

No comments: