Sunday, October 12, 2008

What's with the Duck?

Ok, fine. It's been a year with me and Squirt, the Fire Duckie. And the question never changes: "What's with the Duck?"

There is no big story. There is no fantastic life-altering event that brought me and Duckie together as inseperable companions. I was teaching a kettlebell workshop in Victoria, BC, one weekend last fall (Oct 28, to be exact), and went into one of those quirky little boutiques that sell funky knicknacks and useless tacky gadgets. Well, this little store happened to have an entire section devoted to duckies of all kinds. Long story short, I have a Police Duckie, a Hula Duckie, and yes, Squirt, the Fire Duckie.

I knew I was working towards a career in the fire service, and was in the process of getting all of my requisite certifications and exams: Level III Occupational First Aid, Class 3 Driver's Licence, NFPA 1001, CPAT physical, Fit-Tech physical, Ergometrics aptitude testing, AW Fraser psychological testing, not to mention applications, resume, references, blah blah blah... I figured why not have Duckie accompany me on my journey through it all? So I starting bringing him... everywhere.



Sure, some people pretend they find him silly... think I'm crazy... but there's no denying the cuteness of the lil guy! The journey's not over, but through it all, I will bring Squirt along for the ride and share our adventures with y'all!

The next stage starts Octocber 20... stay tuned!!





TD & squirt

No comments: